How Can I Get Into Canada If I Have A Record?


If you have a criminal record in the United States and attempt to cross the US-Canada border into Canada or try to fly into Canada, you may be denied entry to Canada. Canada has a strict set of requirements and criteria when it comes to who is allowed and who is not allowed to enter Canada. Even if you have a criminal record for a seemingly small offence or a very old offence (decades old even) you can still be denied entry to CanadaTRP Canada

How do I get into Canada with a criminal record?

1. Make an application for a temporary resident permit. A Canadian temporary resident permit is also called a visitor visa, and will allow you into Canada even if you have a criminal record and would otherwise be denied. However, take note: Even if you do receive a temporary resident permit, you can still be denied entry to Canada by the border official depending on your case. That’s why it’s especially important to make sure all of your documentation and your application are in order by speaking to a licensed immigration attorney.

2. Gather any necessary supporting documentation to go with your temporary resident permit. What documentation you will need depends on the individual circumstances of your case. For example, if your criminal record is drug related, you may need a clearance certificate from your doctor after passing a drug test. You will also need to prove your reasons for visiting Canada and your ties to the United States to show that you will not overstay your visit and will leave Canada once your Temporary Resident Permit expires.

3. Submit your application for a Temporary Resident Permit. You may do this at the US-Canada border or the Canadian port of entry, or submit your application to the Canadian Consulate in advance. Note that whichever option is right for you depends on your personal situation: it takes longer for the Canadian Consulate to process your application, but there might still be a chance you will be denied your TRP at the border.

You do not want to take any chances when it comes to being denied entry to Canada. It can be very costly and stressful, especially if you’ve made vacation plans or had planned to visit family in Canada and are forced to turn around and return to the United States because you’ve been denied entry to Canada. Contact a licensed immigration attorney to discuss the facts surrounding your case and learn the best option for you when it comes to getting into Canada despite a criminal record.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.



Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.