What does a Canadian need to work in Los Angeles in 2012?

In order to work in the United States, a Canadian requires a work visa. There are a number of different types of work visas for the United States, including: Work permit

The TN Work Visa
The L-1 Work Visa
The E2 Work Visa

As well as other specialty visas like:

H-1B Specialty Occupations
H-2B Non-Agricultural Workers
E-1 Treaty Traders and E-2 Treaty Investors
J-1 Visa for Education and Cultural Exchange

Which US Work Visa is right for me?

Your personal situation, work experience and type of job are all factors that greatly affect which type of United States work visa would be the best option for you. However, one type of fast-track way to work in the United States as a Canadian citizen is the TN Visa.

If you have an existing job offer in a specific occupation and are a Canadian citizen with a valid passport, you may be eligible for a TN Visa. Professions that are eligible for a TN Visa include doctors, lawyers, engineers, registered nurses, scientists, geologists, animal breeders, chemists and scientists.

You must also be able to prove that the job offer is temporary as evidenced by a specially-formatted job offer from your United States employer that is specifically drawn up for the purposes of a TN Visa, usually lasting no longer than three years. In addition, you must be adequately qualified for the job via your education and work experience, and also be able to prove this. Finally, you must be able to convince United States immigration authorities that you will leave the United States and return to Canada once your TN Visa expires.

We have handled many TN visa cases. Please give us a call! Even if you are not eligible for a TN Visa, or your job does not appear on the list of acceptable TN Visa jobs, we can still assist you in working in the United States. You are closer than you think!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.