Denied entry to Canada for DUI

If you have a criminal conviction for DUI in your history, you could be considered criminally inadmissible to Canada. This means that because of your criminal record, you will not be allowed into Canada. If you attempt to enter Canada, Canadian immigration or border officials will tell you that you are inadmissible, that you are being denied entry to Canada and that you must turn around and return to the United States. 

Why was I denied entry to Canada?

The government of Canada had an obligation to ensure that no one who enters the country is dangerous or poses a risk to Canadians. To do so, they deem people who have a criminal record or medical problem (for example, just a couple of the reasons someone would be denied) inadmissible to Canada. However, in working to keep Canada and Canadians safe, sometimes people who do not pose any kind of threat are lumped in with those who are dangerous. People who have had criminal convictions in their past but have since turned their life around are just one example of this.

If this is the case for you, you can apply for a temporary resident permit to enter Canada. This will allow you to enter Canada, usually for a period of up to six months, despite the fact that you have a criminal record. You may also choose whether you want a single entry temporary resident permit, which will allow you into Canada once, or a multiple-entry temporary resident permit, which will allow you to leave and re-enter Canada several times during the period your temporary resident permit is valid.

Keep in mind that temporary resident permit applications can be denied, and they often are. This is because the requirements for them are very strict. You will have to indicate why you want to visit Canada, that you have enough money to pay for your time in Canada (and to pay to leave Canada) and that you will return home to the United States after you are done visiting. You will also have to discuss your criminal case when you apply.

Because of the complexity of these applications, it’s highly recommended that you discuss your case with a licensed immigration attorney. We can help you! Contact us using the phone number above.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.