J1 Visas to the USA

For Those Seeking To Enter The US With a J1-Visa

The J-1 visa is to be used by international visitors to enter the US temporarily to reach educational or cultural goals.

The Exchange Visitor Program is managed by the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961 and administered by the Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

Participants in the Exchange Visitor Program Exchange are expected to return to their various home country to utilize the skills that they acquire while in the U.S.

Below is a list of the main Exchange Visitor Program categories:

Trainees and interns in medicine, business, and other fields;

Secondary, college, and university students;

Teachers at all academic levels;

Professors employed to teach and/or perform research at post-secondary institutions;

Au pairs;

Government Visitors; and

Research Scholars.

Each category has specific requirements and regulations.

J-1 Visa Requirements You Should Know

In order to apply for a J-1 visa, applicants are required to have been sponsored by an American organization in a recognized exchange category.

Applicants will be required to obtain Form DS-2019 from their associated sponsor before applying for a J-1 visa.

J-1 visitors are required to have the requisite academic background to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program, such as proper knowledge of the English language (unless the program does not require such knowledge).

In addition, applicants are required to demonstrate that they plan to depart the U.S. at the end of their exchange program, that they have sufficient social and economic ties abroad which they have no plan of abandoning, and that they have gathered sufficient funds to provide for living expenses incurred while in the U.S.

Exchange visitors that are coming to the U.S. for medical education or training are required to have passed the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination.

With Our Experience in US immigration, We Can Help You With Your J1-Visa

Security is very important in the world today. It is not enough to simply meet the J-1 visa qualifications. The first thing that an immigration official will check is the paperwork associated with your application. If you are missing documentation or your information is out or order, your application will be automatically denied.

Fortunately, Niren & Associates has more than 30 years experience dealing with such applications. We can help you complete your application and receive approval as soon as possible.

Our Los Angeles office has a track record of successfully handling US and Canadian visa cases. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation and answer any questions you may have.

Our US immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now

Click Here to get an experienced US immigration lawyer started on your case today

J-1 Visa Employment Authorization Requirements

If you have a J-1 visa you may be authorized to work in the United States as part of the exchange program. All participants in programs that do not require work are not allowed to engage in outside employment.

Requirements for a J-1 Visa Foreign Residency

An exchange visitor will be subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement if the below conditions exist.

If the program in which the exchange visitor is participating in is financed in whole or in part by the U.S. government or the government of the exchange visitor;

If the exchange visitor entered the United States with the purpose of receiving a graduate medical education or training; Or

If the exchange visitor is a national or permanent resident of a country that has determined the field of specialized knowledge or skill is vital for the development of the country.

If the exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home country foreign residence requirement, they are not able to change their status to that of H Visa, L Visa, K Visa, or lawful US permanent resident until he or she has returned to his/her home country for a period of at least two years or were given a waiver of that requirement.

Increase Your Chances Of J-1 Approval

By contacting us, you can improve your chance of J-1 visa approval. Once we know what you want to accomplish as well as the finer details of your case, we can discuss all the options that are currently available to you. But before we can help, you have to pick up the phone and call us. We are here to assist you from start to finish!


Click Here to speak with a US immigration lawyer in our Los Angeles, CA office today