Permanent Residence Cards – We Can Help

We Can Help You Get Permanent Residence Cards


Starting in 2002, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has required that Permanent Residents of Canada hold a valid permanent resident card (“PR card”).

This car is used as an identity document for anybody traveling abroad and returning to Canada by airline, car, bus or any other method of transportation.

With this in mind, it is vital to have a valid PR card at all times.

Anybody that reviews their permanent residence after 2002 will automatically receive their card upon entering Canada. Other residents who hold Record of Landing documents who have not yet applied for a card must make an application to CIC.

Typically, once a permanent resident completes and application for a PR card, it takes several weeks for it to arrive in the mail. If you have traveled outside the country for an emergency and your card has expired, there are ways that you can request an expedited service.

Anyone that receives their permanent residence after 2002 will be automatically given once they have entered Canada. Other permanent residents who hold Record of Landing documents but who have not yet applied for a PR card will need to make an application to CIC.

Normally, once a permanent resident makes an application for a PR card, it takes a few weeks for the card to arrive via mail. If you have to travel outside of Canada for an emergency situation, and your card has expired, there are ways that you can request expedited processing.


Canadian Permanent Residence Card


For those who have lived outside Canada for more than three out of the last few years and do not meet any of the traveling with family or business exceptions, you must note that there is a risk of losing your permanent residence status.

Although you may not meet the requirements, it is possible for you to make an application request should you formally request an exemption for humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Also note that under current immigration law, a permanent resident who has not reached the minimum physical presence is allowed to ask the immigration officer to review and consider the circumstances that have prevented the applicant from setting up a residence in Canada.

There are usually many reasons why a permanent resident was denied permission to reside in Canada. With this information, the immigration officer may find that grounds exist upon which an exemption could be made.

The final decision will reside with the immigration officer who is reviewing the case on humanitarian and compassionate arguments, as well as supporting paperwork and documentation to determine whether an except can be made.


Let Us Help You To Get Your Permanent Residence (PR) Card!


In this security-conscious world, immigration laws are becoming more complex with each passing year. This makes it challenging from the average person to understand. We can answer all your questions while guiding you through the immigration process.

Niren & Associates has many years of experience helping people like you apply for a Canadian Permanent Residence Card.

Since we only handle immigration law, we can put all of our resources and knowledge into your case. Other firms may be distracted with information and knowledge for other types of law. At Niren & Associates this is not something you need to be concerned with.

Our Los Angeles office has a track record for handling US and Canadian visa cases and we hope to assist you in the near future. We can review your unique situation and offer you a strategy that will give your visa application an important edge.

Our Canadian lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now .

Click Here to contact a lawyer who specializes in Permanent Residence cards today!



More Information Regarding A Permanent Residence (PR) Card


Renewing your PR Card for Canada

Your PR card is valid for a period of five years. At this point, it can be renewed only if the resident has met the residency requirements.

If you know that your card will be expiring soon, you must submit an application for a PC card renewal to CIC.

The application requires that you disclose your travel arrangement outside of Canada as well as your employment history and address for the past five years.

This information will help the immigration officer review your application and decide whether you meet the residency obligation.

Once the immigration officer is satisfied that you do meet all the requirements, you will be asked to visit the local immigration office to pick up your new card.

You only have 180 days from the notice of the letter to attain your new card.

In most situations, the process to renew a PR card takes a couple of weeks. Because of this, you should renew your card well in advance of the expiration date. This is particularly true if you plan on traveling outside the country. CIC recommends that you file your renewal application at least two months prior to the expiration.

You are no longer required to submit your old PR card with your application. Instead, the CIC requires that you bring your old card with you when picking up your new one. This is a welcomed change for most, as it allows you to travel out of Canada and return as long as you have your card, while the renewal is taking place.

In some cases where you have to travel abroad and your car has expired or going through renewal, it is possible to have the process sped up.


Can my PR Card application be refused?


There are some reasons why an application for permanent residence can be refused.

One reason is that the permanent resident could not show evidence that he or she was in Canada for at least 730 days over the past five years.

It is also important to note that an immigration official has the right to refuse an application if the applicant does not prove that they are who they say they are. Also, a denial can be caused by a lack of supporting documents.


What if I am outside of Canada and my Permanent Residence Card has expired?


The following situation affects many permanent residents.

Once you realize your PR card has expired and you are outside Canada, you must obtain a travel document allowing you to travel back to the country.

The process of this document requires that the permanent residence make an application to the Canadian office abroad.

If you are able to prove that you have resided in Canada for at least two years in the five year period, than the Canadian office abroad is most likely issue you the Travel Document and allow you to return to Canada.

If you do not meet the residency requirement you may be required to make humanitarian and compassionate arguments as to why you have been outside of Canada for a period longer than two years. Whether to grant you a Travel Document in this scenario will depend on the immigration officer reviewing your file.


What if my application for a PR Card was refused?


If you find that your application has been rejected, you may appeal this decision with the Immigration Appeal Division in Canada.

It is a must that you appeal the refusal within 60 days of receiving the notice.

Once you receive the appeal notice, the Immigration Appeal Division will hold a hearing in Canada to determine whether the decision to deny your card was correct.

At the time of the hearing, the Immigration Appeal Division is allowed to consider additional humanitarian and compassionate arguments and other documentation and submissions in support of the appeal.

You may also have to testify in front of a member of the Immigration Appeal Division.

If you are outside the country you can still appeal your application. You will be given the option to return to Canada for the duration of your appeal.

The applicant should realize that the right to appeal at the hearing in person is not automatic. Instead, this is a request that is required to be made with the Immigration Appeal Division.

If your appeal at the Immigration Appeal Division is unsuccessful, you can move onto the next step of the appeal process to the Federal Court in Canada.


Let Us Provide a Level of Clarity


At Niren & Associates we only deal with immigration law. This allows us to give your application all the attention it deserves. We are devoted to our clients and invite you to contact us today for a free consultation. We are more than happy to answer any questions related to your current situation.

Click Here to contact an immigration lawyer from our Los Angeles office who can help answer your questions and suggest routes that your application process might take.