How Do I Sponsor My Spouse to Canada?

If you are a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident in Canada, you can sponsor a spouse (or common-law or conjugal partner) to Canada. The person you sponsor can also receive permanent residency in Canada. Spousal Sponsorship

What are the requirements for sponsoring a spouse in Canada?

In order to sponsor a spouse in Canada, you must meet the basic requirements:

1. You must either be a permanent resident in Canada or a Canadian Citizen.
2. You must be 18 years of age or older.
3. You must be able to financially support your spouse while they are in Canada, and sign a sponsorship agreement with the Canadian Government that is legally binding.

If the person you are sponsoring is a spouse, you must be legally married. If the person is a common-law partner, you must have lived together for at least 12 months and live as a couple. With the case of a conjugal partner, you may not be able to live together for certain reasons in your home country such as you are a same-sex couple or the other spouse is still married but cannot get divorced because their country does not allow it. A fiancé cannot be sponsored to Canada.

Types of spousal sponsorship

There are two different ways to sponsor a spouse to Canada: in Canada or outside of Canada. If the spouse is outside of Canada, they will come to Canada after they obtain their permanent resident visa. If the spouse is inside Canada, they must have a legal status in Canada via a permit or visa and have not overstayed it.

How to sponsor your spouse to Canada

1. Make an application to sponsor your spouse to Canada.

2. Have the spouse apply for permanent resident status in Canada.

Why should I hire an immigration lawyer to help me sponsor my spouse?

An immigration lawyer can be a vital asset during your spousal sponsorship case. This is because in most cases, a marriage certificate is simply not enough to prove your marriage is genuine and legitimate – something Canadian immigration will be looking for. Contact us for an assessment on your case today using the form on the right! We would be happy to help.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.



Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.